Thursday, May 6, 2010

isn't this easy?

I always start to write my blog posts with something in mind that I'm going to discuss and then I end up deleting it all and starting over with what I actually talk about. Often more than once.

I wanted to talk about the concept of alone vs. together because I am a lit nerd and I love connotation and definition and diction and all those wordy things. My dictionary defines alone as "separate, apart, or isolated from others" and together as "into or in one gathering, company, mass, place, or body" and I think these are pretty typical of what somebody would come up with when prompted to define the definitions of these two words. But let's dig deeper. Can you be alone while still in one gathering? Can you be in one mass while still being isolated? Obviously the answer is yes, we've all heard Dark Blue, after all. But why is this? Why is this possible? How can words that mean the opposite thing happen at the same time? It seems to defy logical reasoning. I really think that this is allowed so that we can remember to pay attention to how we feel more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment